Seni District Overview
Nagqu County is located in Nagqu Prefecture of Tibet Autonomous Region. The name of Nagqu county in Tibetan language means "black river". Nagqu County ranges in latitude from 30° 31' to 31° 55' N and in longitude from 91° 12' to 93° 02' E. Between Tanggula Mountains and Mount Nyenchen Tanglha, tourists can enjoy rolling clouds, clear lakes, stretch of mountains and vast grassland here.
‣ Basic Information of Nagqu County
- Chinese Name: 那曲县
- Opening Time:All Day Long
- Areas: 16,195 km²
- Population: 90,000(2003)
- Dialing code: (+86) 0896
- Zip code: 852000
Climate of Nagqu County
With an elevation of around 4,500 metres (14,800 ft), Nagqu has a harsh, alpine climate. It has very long, cold and dry winters and short, cool summers. In winter, temperatures frequently drop below −20 °C (−4 °F) at night and in summer typically rise to 16 °C (61 °F) during the day. The monthly 24-hour average daily temperature ranges from −12.6 °C (9.3 °F) in January to 9.0 °C (48.2 °F) in July, and the annual mean is only −1.17 °C (29.9 °F). From June to September, a majority of the days receives some precipitation, and over 80% of the annual precipitation is delivered.
Attractions in Nagqu County
• Samdain Kangsang(桑丹康桑雪山): 6590 meters above sea level, it is located in the middle of the Nyainqentanglha mountain range. Among all the peaks of the northern Tibetan Plateau, the Sangdan Kangsang Snow Mountain is one of the 25 highest mountain peaks in Tibet.
• Drolma Canyon(卓玛峡谷): it is 11 kilometers from National Highway 109 with breath-taking sceneries of green trees, colorful flowers, crystal clean lakes and lofty mountains.
• Xiaodeng Monastery(孝登寺): also called "Xiadeng Monastery", it was built in 1814.
• The Eight White Pagodas(草原八塔): these pagodas stand on the vast prairie and give tourists some solemn and stirring feelings.
• Nagqu Swamp(那曲沼泽): mainly for Kobresia swamp, its altitude is between 4300 to 4 800 m. Nagqu Swamp shares abundant plant resources.
‣ Best Time to Visit Nagqu County
It is recommended to get to Nagqu County during April to July and September to October. Every October to next April, the cold weather make it tough to have a trip. And every July to August is the rainy season of Nagqu County resulting in the bad condition and heavy fog.
•Avoid High Altitude Sickness: because of the high altitudes climatic conditions of Nagqu County, visitors should pay attention to the prevention and cure of the syndromes including headache, dizziness, flustered, shortness of breath, the plateau response, especially people who have chronic respiratory disease or cardiovascular disease. In addition, bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content, like chocolate for fluid loss and energy consumption usually accompany the acclimatization process. Above all, taking a good rest is the most important.
‣Due to Tibetan elevation and strong UV, you had better bring sunglasses, gloves and high-quality sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher with you to avoid any direct exposure to the sun.
‣ Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.
‣ Don’t touch Tibetan’s head and shoulder without permission.