Gedeng Qukuolin Temple in Namling County, Shigatse
Chinese Name: 格登曲廓林寺
English Name: Gedeng Qukuolin Temple in Namling County, Shigatse
Location: Located in Namling County, Shigatse, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All the day
About Gedeng Qukuolin Temple
Located in Namling County of Shigatse, 1 km away from county, Gedeng Qukuolin Temple is the main temple in the area of Shigatse with an altitude of 3,800 meters above sea level. During the reign of the fifth Dalai Lama, it was converted to the Gelug sect, and the name of the temple was changed to the “Gedeng Qukuolin” meaning “Gedeng Scholastic”which is one of the 13 Buddhist temples in Namling County.There were great halls and six halls, for which the great hall was Sakyamuni and was found the cane, the bowl, and the rice bowl what he had used.
Namling County Transportation
You can choose either self-driving traveling or take public transportation. According to your beginning place, there may be different ways to go to Namling County, then transfer a local mini van to Gedeng Qukuolin Temple.
- Lhasa- Shigatse- Namling County
You can reach Lhasa by air or train. Then take a bus to Namling County.
- Shigatse- Namling County
You can also take a specific train to Shigatse and take a bus to Namling County.
Attraction Travel Tips:
- Traveling Hours: 1.5 – 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: June to September
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content.
- Pay attention to prepare some cold weather gear like a hat, gloves, a scarf and a thick winter coat.
- The Border Permit is required to enter the mountain; as it is less convenient to apply for one in Tibet, it is suggested to obtain the permit ahead of the travelling.
- Pay attention to respect the Tibetan local custom in the monastery.