Nyima County Overview
Nyima County which means sun in Tibetan language ,is the administrative region of Nagqu Prefecture in the Tibet Autonomous Region. It is located in the north of the Tibet Autonomous Region, northwest of the Nagqu area, bordering the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region and Shigatse City to the south. It connects with Shuanghu County and Shenzha County in the east.
Nyima County has an average elevation of 5,000 meters. It belongs to semi-arid plateau sub-arid monsoon climate and plateau arid climate. The air is thin in many snowy days with annual average temperature of -4 ℃and annual precipitation of 150 mm. Nyima County's total area is 72499.41 square kilometers with a population of 31161 people (by the end of 2014),13 townships, 77 administrative villages.
‣ Basic Information
- Chinese Name:尼玛县
- Location: In the north of the Tibet Autonomous Region, northwest of the Nagqu area
- Elevation:5,000 meters
- Coordinates:30°58′-35°52′N / 85°19′-87°76′E
- Opening Time:All Day
‣ Natural resources of Nyima County
- Climate Resources: Nyima County has a solar photovoltaic power station, which has an installed capacity of 15 kilowatts.
- Water resources: Nyima County Hydropower Station is a dam-type one with the reservoir total capacity of 34.3 million cubic meters and a total installed capacity of 1260 kilowatts.
- Biological resources: Nyima County is an important part of the national Qiangtang Nature Reserve. The wild animal resources are rich and precious such as the Tibetan antelope, Tibetan wild donkey, wild yak, snow leopard, Brown bear, snow chicken, Tibetan gazelle, blue sheep, argali, bar-headed goose, gray duck, duck and other national first and second class protection of animals which altogether up to 20 species.
- Mineral resources: Nyima County is abundant in gold, borax, alkali, salt, crystal stone, copper, iron and so on.
‣ Highlights of Nyima County
Horse racing is a popular activity of the Tibetan people. It is not celebrated for farmers and herdsmen to relax, but also is celebrated for exchanging experience in farming and animal husbandry production. It is also a display of Tibetan people's spirit. Most importantly, the formation of such a national traditional "Horse Racing Festival" is based on their faith in horse with a long history.
‣ Famous tourist sites of Nyima County
• Daguer Snow Mountain（达果雪山）： Daguer Snow Mountain is located in Nyima County, which is said to be the gathering place of ancient elephant, and also the main vein of male elephant to three hundred and sixty peaks, Daguer Snow Mountain is one of the four great snow mountains in Tibetan area.
• Qiangtang Nature Reserve（羌塘自然保护区）: The wild animal resources are rich and precious such as the Tibetan antelope, Tibetan wild donkey, wild yak, snow leopard, Brown bear, snow chicken, Tibetan gazelle, blue sheep, argali, bar-headed goose, gray duck, duck and other national first and second class protection of animals which altogether up to 20 species.
• Stone Paintings（石画）：Along the mountains in Nyima County, there are many survived rock paintings in ancient times. The Petroglyph in Rongma Township is the most famous one. The rock paintings are mainly composed of cattle, sheep, horse and buffalo with simple and bright painting style. Different stones will show a different picture as the season and time changes.
‣ Famous specialty of Nyima County
- Snow lotus
Nyima snow lotus growth in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau where is 4000 meters above snow-capped mountains. It has a strong resistance to low temperature. Snow lotus seems like the shape of a lotus flowe, thus named snow lotus. It has a certain medicinal value, in addition, it can help to warm the uterus and other functions.
- Snow Cock(Tetraogallus)
Snow chicken is a kind of bird, and more habitat at an altitude of 4000 to 6000 meters of the mountain, thus called "snow chicken." Its meat is edible, and also can bu used as medicine, which has a high economic and scientific value.
- Gold and Silver
Gold and silver is the traditional handicrafts of Tibet, which has a history of more than 1,000 years. Gold and silver are generally divided into two categories: one is the ornaments, such as bracelets, rings, necklaces, headdress, pectoral, scabbard and snuff bottle decoration, etc .; the other is daily necessities such as wine jug, Spoon, chopsticks, bowls, plates and so on. Some is gold, silver production, and others are gold, silver mosaic, parcels.
Every tourists need the travel tips listed below when traveling to Nyima County.
‣ Travel Tips
Avoid High Altitude Reaction:
●With the high altitude of about 5000 meters, changeable weather and strong wind during the day and night in Nyima, you’d better bring some warm clothes and medicine. Please remember to bring sunglasses with you.
● Meanwhile, please do not act and move too fast even though you're taking photos and enjoying the stunning views.
Best Time to Visit Nyima County
It is recommended to get to Nyima County during April to July and September to October. The cold weather make it tough to have a trip at every October to next April. And every July to August is the rainy season of Qusum County resulting in the bad condition and heavy fog.