Gandan Quguolin Monastery in Namling County, Shigatse
Chinese Name: 甘丹曲果林寺
English Name: Gandan Quguolin Monastery in Namling County, Shigatse
Location: Located in south of Namling County, Shigatse, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All the day
About Gandan Quguolin Monastery
Gandan Quguolin Monastery is located in the south of Namling County and the north bank of the the Yarlung Zangbo River（雅鲁藏布江）. During the Tubo period, the land was made into the hinterland of the Tibetan leaves. The original structure of Gandan Quguolin Monastery is very large, which was built by the mountain. There are one great hall and more than 800 monks. According to regional theory, the temple is mainly for the Buddha of Jiangboweba(江白伟巴), which mainly carries out religious activities of the “Ode to the Buddha of the Fifth Dalai Lama”.
The main religious festival is the “Penga Festival “(朋加节)， which began during the reign of the seventh Dalai Lama. On each January 14 of Tibetan calendar, about 20 people made use of “Longevity Pill” by 8 to 11 days which was made after the weighed in a special bottle seal stamp. During the period of February 3 to 7, the whole peoplr of Gandan Quguolin Monastery would sit in the monastery, chanting the scriptures of “Sutra” and “Mannibba”（“天经素久”和“玛尼珠巴”）and they’re not allowed to go out of the temple or enter into the temple. In the meanwhile, the monks were not allowed to eat meat.
Namling County Transportation
You can choose either self-driving traveling or take public transportation. According to your beginning place, there may be different ways to go to Namling County, then transfer a local mini van to Gandan Quguolin Monastery .
- Lhasa- Shigatse- Namling County
You can reach Lhasa by air or train. Then take a bus to Namling County.
- Shigatse- Dinggyê County
You can also take a specific train to Shigatse and take a bus to Namling County.
Attraction Travel Tips:
- Traveling Hours: 1.5 – 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: June to September
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content.
- Pay attention to prepare some cold weather gear like a hat, gloves, a scarf and a thick winter coat.
- The Border Permit is required to enter the mountain; as it is less convenient to apply for one in Tibet, it is suggested to obtain the permit ahead of the travelling.
- Pay attention to respect the Tibetan local custom in the monastery.