Sewu Monastery in Namling County, Shigatse
Chinese Name: 色吾寺
English Name: Sewu Monastery in Namling County, Shigatse
Location: Located in Namling County, Shigatse, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All the day
About Sewu Monastery
Located in the Sewu Ditch, the mountains of Sewu Monastery are covered with bushes, flowers and beautiful scenery.The surrounding peaks form a variety of shapes, such as the sword, bird and beast, like a beautiful picture scroll.The end of the ditch extended to the southeast to the foot of Gongga Mountain（贡嘎山）, and the gutter extended to the northwest to Alangqiong Village. The ditch is a sacred mountain for Buddhists.It is said that if you can hear the name of Sewu Ditch, you will be able to ask for joy (one of the ten places of Bodhisattva).The land, the rocks, the trees, which have touched Sewu Ditch, can remove the evil away. Sewu Monastery which was built by the monks, has a history of more than 1,000 years with a great hall, eleven halls, and a hundred and fifty monks.
Sewu Monastery was destroyed before, so State rebuilt it in 1984 in the original monastery ruins and repaired the main assembly hall and nine halls, for there are three Buddhist statues.
Sewu Monastery will hold a dance of the gods (dance of the monks) and the ritual of exorcism in December 22 to 30 of Tibetan calendar.
Namling County Transportation
You can choose either self-driving traveling or take public transportation. According to your beginning place, there may be different ways to go to Namling County, then transfer a local mini van to Sewu Monastery.
- Lhasa- Shigatse- Namling County
You can reach Lhasa by air or train. Then take a bus to Namling County.
- Shigatse- Namling County
You can also take a specific train to Shigatse and take a bus to Namling County.
Attraction Travel Tips:
- Traveling Hours: 1.5 – 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: All seasons
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content.
- Pay attention to prepare some cold weather gear like a hat, gloves, a scarf and a thick winter coat.
- The Border Permit is required to enter the mountain; as it is less convenient to apply for one in Tibet, it is suggested to obtain the permit ahead of the travelling.
- Pay attention to respect the Tibetan local custom in the monastery.