Tuka Monastery in Zogang County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 土卡寺
English Name: Tuka Monastery in Zogang County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Zogang County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Tuka Monastery
Tuka Monastery（土卡寺）, located at the side of the national highway 318, on the hillside of Tiantuo Village（田妥村）, about 60 kilometers from the county seat, is known as Tuka Gedan Xizhuo Xiangbalin（土卡格丹西卓向巴林）, which was founded in 1487 by the disciple of the Tsongkhapa master（宗喀巴大师）. The Gelug sect（格鲁派） monastery has a history of more than 500 years now.
The Construction of Tuka Monastery
Tuka Monastery has a unique architectural style with the exquisite workmanship, although the scale of the monastery is not so big. The monastery covers an area of 10176 ㎡, with building area of 3868 ㎡. It is well-equipped with scripture hall, Lama Rooms, etc.
The Relics and Murals in Tuka Monastery
In Tuka Monastery, there are thousands of national relics, wooden tires and clay sculptures, which are of great archaeological significance and ornamental value. There are still thousands of pure golden Buddha statues inside. Exquisite fresco is a big attraction in Tuka Monastery. The colorful murals with large scale are the monumental work of the painting. The murals which are rich in content have unexpected faith value to all the believers and visitors.
Tourist can travel to Lhasa by air or train firstly and then transfer to Zogang by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. And you can transfer from Qamdo to Zogang County. There is no need for you to worry about the transportation.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 2 to 3 hours
- Traveling Seasons: March to October.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Owing to the long distance and circuitous route, it is better to head for the attraction in the early morning.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.