Where to Buy the Souvenirs in Tibet
Barkhor Street has a big fame of shopping in Lhasa, where you could easily to find popular souvenirs. But you need carefully to examine them for quality. Small shops on the street behind Jokhang Temple are other options.
Where to Buy in Tibet?
Barkhor Street, located in the old urban area of Lhasa, is a famous Circumanbulation and commercial center of Lhasa, which completely preserves the traditional appearance and resident manner of the ancient city. Barkhor Street was a single street around the Jokhang Temple, Tibetans called it “holy road.” Now, Barkhor Street is the most prosperous commercial street built around the Jokhang Temple in Lhasa. The street is centered by Jokhang Temple, connecting Tibetan Hospital Building in the west, Yanhe East Road(沿河东路) in the south, Xingfu East Road(幸福东路) in the north, Lhasa Hospital and Linkuo East Road(林廓东路) in the east.
Barkhor Street retains traditional appearance of Lhasa Ancient Town. The street is paved with hand-polished stones, and the old-fashioned Tibetan house buildings is reserved. Shops on both sides of the street are lined with more than 120 handicraft shops and more than 200 stalls. There are copper Buddhas, prayer wheels, butter lamps, prayer flags, scriptures, prayer beads, incenses, Pines and cypress branches and other religious articles; Tibet wool, aprons, leather bags, harness, snuff bottles, fire sickles, Tibetan quilts, Tibetan shoes, Tibetan knives, Tibetan hats, Yak butter, Yak butter barrel, wooden bowl, highland barley wine, sweet tea, milk residue, air dried meat and other daily necessities; Tangka painting, handkerchief, Tibetan rugs and other handicrafts and antiques as well as local products and other commodities with ethnic characteristics throughout Tibet.
Shopping Malls in Tibet
You’d better buy some practical items you need in Lhasa if you plan to travel to remote areas of Tibet. There are many department stores in Lhasa, mostly on Yuthok Road that supply everyday needs. For example, Lhasa Department Store, located on the west end of Yuthok Road, is the largest and best known department store in Lhasa and sells practical items such as cotton clothing, mugs, canned food, towels, and toothpaste, as well as local handicrafts.
1. Lhasa Department Store
Address: No.1, Yutuo Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区宇拓路1号
Description: It is one of the largest shopping malls in Tibet.
2. Xueyan Street雪雁街
Address: No.10, Yutuo Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区宇拓路10号
3. Langsai Shopping Mall八廓街琅赛商场
Address: No.31, Barkhor South Street, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区八廓南街31号
Description: The price is lower than in Barkhor Street, and it is a characteristic shopping mall.
4. Baiyi Department Store百益百货
Address: No.8, Yutuo Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区宇拓路8号
Description: It is one of the largest department stores in Tibet.
5. City Department Store城市百货
Address: No.27, Beijing East Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa拉萨市城关区北京东路27号
Other useful Tips about shopping:
1. We seriously suggest you that please do not buy any adornments made of wild animals, especially furs, skulls, horns of tigers, leopards, Tibetan antelopes and wild yaks. No deals no killings.
2. Tibetan knife is not allowed on a plane or as consigned goods, but it can be sent to your destination by express. The general post office in Lhasa stands at Beijing Middle Road. Some small post offices are also available, but not as efficient as the former.
3. If you want to buy Tibetan medicines, please go to regular hospitals like Tibetan traditional hospital(just opposite to Jokhang Temple Square) or the medicine company(on the west outskirts of Lhasa). But you can’t bargain there.