Xianglukang Monastery in Gê’gyai County, Ngari
Chinese Name: 象鲁康寺
English Name: Xianglukang Monastery in Gê’gyai County, Ngari
Location: Located in Gê’gyai County, Ngari Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Xianglukang Monastery
Xianglukang Monastery（象鲁康寺）is located in Xiangduoren Village（相多仁村）, Xiongba Township（雄巴乡）, Gê’gyai County（革吉县）, Ngari Prefecture（阿里地区）, Tibet Autonomous Region, 18 kilometers away from the Township Government and 95 kilometers from the county seat with an altitude of 4573 meters. There are many mountains, natural caves and rocks in the area. The most famous ones are the padmasambhava cultivation caves. The monastery was badly damaged during the Cultural Revolution. In 1990, Gaerma Duojie（嘎尔玛多杰）living Buddha made a comprehensive restoration of this monastery. The monastery belongs to civil structure with the revolving house, monks’ house, a living Buddha ashram, a warehouse and four pagodas.
The Collections of Xianglukang Monastery
Xianglukang Monastery mainly worships the statues of padmasambhava master, sakyamuni etc. and a spiritual pagoda, a copper pagoda, as well as more than 300 Thangka（唐卡）. The main Buddhist sutras are Kangyur（《甘珠尔》）, Tengyur（《丹珠尔》）and so on. The existing four pagodas and padmasambhava masters’ statue have the history of more than 900 years.
Gegyai County highway traffic system is perfect; visitors can choose self-driving tour. The nearest airport to Gegyai County is Ngari Gunsa Airport. Tourist can travel to Ngari by air firstly and then transfer to Gegyai County by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. There are 110.7 km from Ngari to Gegyai County and it just spends 2.5 hours for driving.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: May to September.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.
- If you choose to travel by car, please pay attention to the road condition and drive carefully.