Zhire Monastery in Gê’gyai County, Ngari
Chinese Name: 芝热寺
English Name: Zhire Monastery in Gê’gyai County, Ngari
Location: Located in Gê’gyai County, Ngari Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Zhire Monastery
Zhire Monastery（芝热寺）which was built in 1379 AD by Guo Cangba（果仓巴）is located on the north side of the famous Buddhist shrine and scenic spot of Gangren Buqin Holy Mountain（岗仁布钦神山）, and in Jieke Village（结克村）, Xiongba Township（雄巴乡）, Gê’gyai County（革吉县）, Ngari Prefecture（阿里地区）, Tibet Autonomous Region. It is 497 km from the county seat, and 607 km from the township government, with 5,071 meters above sea level. The total construction area is 7365.63 square meters, covering a total area of 9 thousand square meters. There is the famous burial ground of Ngari Prefecture— Sebacha Burial Ground（色巴察天葬场）near Zheri Monastery.
Gegyai County highway traffic system is perfect; visitors can choose self-driving tour. The nearest airport to Gegyai County is Ngari Gunsa Airport. Tourist can travel to Ngari by air firstly and then transfer to Gegyai County by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. There are 110.7 km from Ngari to Gegyai County and it just spends 2.5 hours for driving.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: May to September.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.
- If you choose to travel by car, please pay attention to the road condition and drive carefully.