Azar Glacier in Zayu County, Nyingchi
Chinese Name: 阿扎冰川
English Name: Azar Glacier in Zayu County, Nyingchi
Location: Located in Zayu County, Nyingchi, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Azar Glacier
Azar glacier is an oceanic glacier, which is located in the town of Zayu County with an altitude of 4,600 meters above sea level. Among them, the frontier of the glacier goes deep into the original forest for several kilometers, like a silver dragon walking through the “green sea”.So Azar Glacier is affectionately known as the “green sea glacier”.
Azar glacier is the lowest Tibet glacier, with main peak height of 6,882 meters. The glacier is about 27 kilometers long, and the ice tongue is divided into north and south two teams: the north branch of ice tongue is distributed in the territory of Wuzhen, its southern branch is mainly ice tongue, and it is distributed in the county of the prefecture, which basically runs through the forest and forms the world’s rarest forest and glacier landscape.
Tourist can travel to Lhasa by air or train firstly and then transfer to Zayu County by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. There is no need for you to worry about the transportation.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 1 Day
- Traveling Seasons: May and September.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.
- As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.