Mainling County Overview
Chinese Name: 米林县 English IPA: Mi Lin Xian Location: Located in the central-west of the Nyingtri Prefecture of Tibet Population (city): 23,000 Language: Tibetan Language Zip code: Tel code: Time zone:
Mainling County is located in the central-west of the Nyingtri Prefecture of Tibet, at the middle reaches of the Yarlung Tsangpo River, and between the Nyenchen Tanglha Mountains and the Himalayan Mountains. It covers an area of 9,471 square kilometers. The average altitude is 3,700 meters above sea level.
Highlights of Mainling County
▪ Paizhen Grand Canyon Entrance（派镇大峡谷入口） is 3 Kilometers away from the government of Paizhen Town, Mainling County, at the entrance of the Yarlung Zangbo River Canyon with an altitude of 3,000 meters above sea level. It is also the best viewing point of Mount Namjagbarwa（南迦巴瓦峰）.
▪ The Nanyi Ditch Scenic Spot（南伊沟景区） is located in the south of Mainling County of Nyingchi Prefecture. The ecological environment is well persevered, with humid climate and rich wildlife resources.
▪ Mount Namjagbarwa（南迦巴瓦峰） is the highest mountain in Nyingchi Prefecture. It, soaring 7,782 m above sea level, is situated on the eastern dege of the Himalayan range in southeast of Tibet. Mt. Namche Barwa and Mt. Gyala Peri (7150 m) climbs thousands of feet from 2 sides of Yarlung Tsangpo River, creating the world’s deepest valley– Namche Barwa Valley. The average depth of the valley is 5000 m, with the lowest point 5382 m. In 1994, the Great Canyon of the Namjagbarwa Valley was confirmed as the largest in the world by both the American Geographic Committee and the Guinness Book of World Records.
▪ Yarlung Zangbu Grand Canyon（雅鲁藏布大峡谷）: The downstream of Yarlung Zangbu River makes a sharp turn aound Namjagbarwa Mountain and flows to the south in Nyingchi, hence the precipitous canyon.
▪ Qiangna Monastery（羌纳寺） is located in Qiangan Town of Mainling County, which covers an area of 5,088 square meters, with nine monks. The temple belonging to Kagyu sect was originally built in a gutter of Qiangna Township in the 15th century. After the earthquake, it was moved to the present position in 1953 and changed to the Gelug sect.
Other Destinations in Mainling County
Mainling County Attractions
Bayi, a wonderful and brilliant district famous for its attractive natural landscapes and brilliant cultural relics, has dozens of attractions to appeal the visitors including: Paizhen Grand Canyon Entrance（派镇大峡谷入口）, Yarlung Zangbu Grand Canyon, The Nanyi Ditch Scenic Spot（南伊沟景区）, Mount Namjagbarwa（南迦巴瓦峰）, Yarlung Zangbu Grand Canyon（雅鲁藏布大峡谷）, Qiangna Monastery（羌纳寺）, etc. ▪ Paizhen Grand Canyon Entrance（派镇大峡谷入口） is 3 Kilometers away from the government of Paizhen Town, Mainling County, at the entrance of the Yarlung Zangbo River Canyon with an altitude of 3,000 meters above sea level. It is also the best [...]
More Mainling County Attractions >>
Mainling County Tours
Mainling County tours not only allow you to explore the brilliant Tibetan culture & authentic Tibetan customs, but also allow you to appreciate the natural charm of Tibet. We list the following Mainling tour packages that may interest you. Tailor-made tours are flexible and based on your personal preference. Mainling group tours are also available, which covers the popular tourist sites in Tibet. Start your trip to Mainling County now. Here we list some attractive highlights in Mainling County for visitors to have a reference, including: Paizhen Grand [...]
Climate & When to Go
In Mainling County, the climate is warm and temperate with the average annual temperature of 10.2 °C. In winter, there is much less rainfall than in summer, while the average annual rainfall is 764 mm. With an average of 17.1 °C, July is the warmest month. In January, the average temperature is 1.9 °C. It is the lowest average temperature of the whole year. The precipitation varies 153 mm between the driest month and the wettest month. The average temperatures vary [...]
More Mainling County Climate & When to Go >>
1. Car-- You can drive all the way from Lhasa to Bayi Town. It’s about 440 km in all. Then drive along the Niyang River to Mainling County. 2. Boat-- The boat starts in Bayi Town. The round way ticket is about CNY 580 per person. 3. Trek-- Most trekkers start in Mainling County and trek along Yarlung Tsangpo River to the lower reaches. 4. Bus-- Take a bus at Lhasa Station to Bayi, which leaves at 8:00 in the morning at earliest about [...]
More Mainling County Transportation >>
Festivals and Activities
Gongbu Festival Gongbu Festival（贡布节） is celebrated every October first in Tibetan Calendar in many places of Nyingchi Prefecture including Mainling County. During this festival, Tibetan people will observe some brilliant activities such as casting out the devils, inviting their dogs to eat the new year dinner, enjoying special Tibetan food Jieda（结达）, carrying water home from the river and enshrine the goddess of the harvest, etc. Saga Dawa Festival Saga means “the fourth” and Dawa refers to “month” in Tibetan. This festival is celebrated [...]
More Mainling County Festivals and Activities >>
Best Travel Time to Mainling County Autumn is the best season to travel there. The climate is relatively dry and clouds are fewer than before in Autumn. Then you can have a clear visibility of this beautiful county. During the end of March and early April, you can see peach blossoms in Nyingchi. Alpine azalea blooms in May and June. Best Shooting Time The prime time of shooting is within an hour before sunset. It is very difficult to gain ideal light [...]
More Mainling County Travel Tips >>
To give the visitors a better trip in Mainling County, we list some related maps about the county, including Mainling County Maps, Mainling County Tourist Maps, Mainling City Map, and Mainling County Location Map. [...]
More Mainling County Useful Maps >>
Mainling County Accommodation
Visitors can choose lots of hotels varied from budget one to five star in Mainling County. Most of the hotels in Mainling County provide high-qualified service. The prices are reasonable and all-inclusive. You can enjoy different style of breakfast, a western breakfast or a Tibetan breakfast. Parking is out of charge and free wifi is equipped. The considerate services would make you relax and comfortable. No matter where you stay in Nyingchi, you won’t miss any attractions of your journey. Brother Inn: Located in the Daxiagu [...]
More Mainling County Accommodation >>