Monkey Cave in Nedong district, Shannan
Chinese Name: 猴子洞
English Name: Monkey Cave
Location: Located in Gongburi Mountain(贡布日山) of Nedong district, Shannan
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Monkey Cave in Nedong district, Shannan
Monkey Cave is a naturally formed cave with a height of 25 meters and a width of 6 and 95 meters. There is a crack in the 0.96 meters away from the cave, and this crack is monkey head shape. According to the legend, it is the earliest monkey which got married with Raksasi(罗刹女). In the southeast of Monkey Cave, there are some murals and portraits of monkey which is holding the Manzha(曼扎) and sitting on the lotus. What’s more, Monkey cave is full of stone statues and colorful flags which have six true words. The legend of monkey changed to man is known to every household in Tibet and spread abroad. This legend is not only painted in murals, but also record in history and books. From this touching story, it is fully proved that Shannan is the place where the local people live and multiply.
Visitors can take long-distance bus or choose self-driving from Nedong district. Please pay attention to weather conditions. In the rainy season (July & August), cars often get struck in the mud and delays happen frequently.
- Traveling Hours: 2 or 3 hours
- Traveling Seasons: March to October
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content
- Bring a good, broad spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF factor and a high SPF lip sunscreen to protect your lips too.
- Please stay in a safe situation when you try to enjoy the spectacular scene.