Weise Monastery in Markam County, Chamdo
Chinese Name: 维色寺
English Name: Weise Monastery in Markam County, Chamdo
Location: Located in Markam County, Chamdo Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day 0
About Weise Monastery
Weise Monastery is located in Markam County（芒康县）, Chamdo Prefecture（昌都市）, Tibet Autonomous Region, covering a total area of 11817 square meters. The whole building structure is like a “back” and is surrounded by the lamas’ living room and vice hall. The main hall is in the central location, with a large space between the main entrance and the main hall. There is living Buddha in the monastery. There is one of the three major calligraphies in Chamdo area. It is the reincarnation place of the fifteenth Living Buddha. There are now existing 64 monks in the monastery. Weise Monastery will hold Tiaoshen activity（跳神活动）and other religious activities every year, holding with butter lights.
The Sichuan-Tibet National Highway 318 and Yunnan-Tibet National Highway 214 converge in Mangkam County, and there are many stops on long-distance coach routes at both Mangkam and Yanjing. Transportation to the area is convenient but it’s a long journey, and a bumpy road. Hitchhiking is common in Tibet, but at a negotiated price. It is possible, but rare, to rent a car for around RMB 2.5 to 5 per km. There are about two flights to Bangda from Chengdu and Lhasa every week, depending on the (changeable) weather.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 2 to 3 hours
- Traveling Seasons: May to October.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.