Qamdo Travel Weather and Climate in August
Qamdo Weather and Climate in August
Minimum Temperature (℃): 9
Average Temperature (℃): 15.9
Maximum Temperature (℃): 22.8
When you travel to Qamdo in August, the rains begin to die off, at only around 100mm in August, temperatures also take a little dip. With highs of around 14.4 degrees and an average of around 8 degrees, August is a great month to visit the area, though it can drop to only 2 degrees at night, making it a little chilly.
What to Wear for an August Qamdo Travel
You should bring the following:
T-shirts and long sleeves to cope with the daily changing temperature
2-3 sweaters for cooler evenings and nights
Fleece or down jacket for when it gets cold in the daytime
Windproof and waterproof pants
Warm undergarments, as it can get chilly even in the height of summer
Rugged hiking boots or shoes for the rough rocky ground
Lip balm and sunglasses
Hats for both sunny days and cold days
Useful Travel Tips for your Qamdo Travel in August
- There are some medications for altitude sickness available, but you should consult your own doctor before you take them, and it is not recommended.
- Tibet Travel Permit: This permit is issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau and is required for all international travelers heading for Tibet. You need to apply for this permit one month prior to your arrival in Tibet as this permit takes some time to get ready and you need to produce the original copy of this permit at the Airport before you board the flight.
- For a good visit to Tibet you need to pack carefully, as it can be cold there at any time of the year. Make sure that you have your valid passport and Chinese Entry Visa with you at all times, and that it is kept secure or on your person at all times.
- No matter which season you go to Tibet, you should bring sunglasses and sun protection equipment, including sun hats, sunscreens etc.
- Due to large numbers of travelers and Tibetans flocking into Tibet during the grand festive season, it is important to book hotels, train tickets or air tickets in advance.
- Do not forget skincare products, sunglasses, sunbonnet and sun-blocking cream.
- Though August is the highest oxygen contents month, you’d better treat altitude stress positively instead lose sight of altitude stress.
- Umbrella and waterproof clothing are necessary goods when you are travelling to Tibet in August.
Things to see and do at Qamdo in August
- Chamdo Horse Racing Festival (May to August, depending on location)
Horse racing festivals are common in Tibet. In Chamdo, they have been held for a long time since the throne was won by the hero Gesaer, who defeated all his rivals at a horse-racing festival, riding a horse with no saddle. Today, the festival is just as wild and exuberant, featuring horse races, archery, shooting at a gallop, picking-up a hada scarf on gallop, speed racing, demonstrations of horsemanship, and acrobatic riding.
- snow-clad mountains, stunning rivers, dazzling waterfalls and vast forests. Besides this, ancient monasteries are also a must visit attraction to learn about the original Tibetan culture. Other best places to visit in Chamdo include the ancient Tea-horse Road which was used for trading various commodities from China to Tibet.