Shage Baling Monastery in Burang County, Ngari
Chinese Name: 夏格巴林寺
English Name: Shage Baling Monastery in Burang County, Ngari
Location: Located in Burang County, Ngari, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Shage Baling Monastery
Shage Baling Monastery is a temple for atonement, which is relatively rare in Tibetan areas.It is located in the northwest of Burang County. Shage Baling means “atonement” in Tibetan language.It is said that in the 17th century, the fifth Dalai Lama sent GanDan soldiers to Ngari causing a fierce battle, and a few years later GanDan policy won the victory. But he felt guilty himself for killing much in the war, therefore he builtShage Baling Monastery for forgiveness.The temple, which was once the largest temple in Ngari , has 300 people, 250 houses and more than 300 pillars. The temple is glorious.
Tourist can travel to Lhasa by air or train firstly and then transfer to Burang County by long-distance bus, which is the major choice. There is no need for you to worry about the transportation.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 1 Day
- Traveling Seasons: May and September.
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Better take some medicines for relief and keep warm all the time.
- As there is a large temperature gap between daytime and night, it is highly recommended to take along some pieces of thermal clothing, hat, and gloves and so on.
- Please try your best to respect the religious belief and local customs.
- As well as the Tibet Entry Permit, you also need to apply for Border Permit for traveling as this destination lies near the Chinese territory boundary.