Donggasi Monastery in Yadong County, Xigaze
Chinese Name: 东嘎寺
English Name: Donggasi Monastery in Yadong County, Xigaze
Location: Lying on the west side of Yadong County, Xigaze
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All the day
Dongga temple is located along the 204 provincial highway, 15 kilometers from Yadong County. Lying on the west side of Yadong County. The name “dongga(东嘎)” means “conch” in Tibetan language. This temple is a branch of the Zhaxi Lunbu temple(扎西伦布寺), which had a history of more than five hundred years. It was rebuilt on the old site in 1982. It is the largest Gelu Sect(格鲁派) temple in Yadong County. Dongga temple is in quadrangle layout, and there are 2 old and new stupas behind the temple. There are stone carvings, natural auspicious patterns, pagodas and prayer flags.
History of Donggasi
Dalai Lama and the central representative, General Zhang jingwu, held a historic meeting on July 16, 1951. General Zhang jingwu had given the Dalai Lama a handwritten letter from Chairman Mao zedong and a copy of the 17 agreements for the peaceful liberation of Tibet(和平解放西藏十七条协议的副本), the temple is famous for that.
We can take a shuttle bus from Shigatse to Yadong County, then transfer a local mini bus to Donggasi.
Attraction Travel Tips:
· pay attention to respect the local customs in the monastery.
· 1 – 2 hours travel.
· best season to travel: all the year round.