Tianhu Lake in Bainang County, Shigatse
Chinese Name: 东喜乡天湖
English Name: Dongxi Tianhu Lake in Bainang County, Shigatse
Location: Located in Bainang County, Shigatse Prefecture, Tibet Autonomous Region
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All Day
About Dongxi Tianhu Lake
About thirty-three kilometers away from Dongxi Township government（东喜乡政府）, there is a small village which is called Wujiu Village（吾久村）. At the top of the mountain of Wujiu Village, there is a natural glacier lake, known locally as the “jade nana” and also called “Tianhu Lake”（天湖）. At an altitude of about 5,000 meters, the lake sits on top of the lake, and the water of the lake is not exactly like the water from the sky. The lake is small, less than a square kilometer.
Tianhu Lake（天湖）is blue all the year round, surrounded by the endless grassland. Here the abundant water grass attracts many wild animals. Countless wild donkeys, rabbits, foxes, and wolves have all taken this place as their home. The lakeside is full of all kinds of plants, some of which are precious Chinese herbs such as the mother and Saussurea involucrata（雪莲花）. Every time of Tibetan New Year, nearby nomads will come to the lake and circle around the lake to offer the white Hada（哈达）, praying for the peace of their family
Provincial road 204 is running through the whole county, connecting with Shigatse City, apart from this, Shigatse Station of Lhasa–Shigatse Railway is just next to Bainang County.
Attraction Travel Tips
- Traveling Hours: 1 to 2 hours
- Traveling Seasons: June to October
- High Altitude Sickness Avoiding: Bring enough water or drinks, fruits and snacks with high caloric content.
- Pay attention to prepare some necessities for the cold weather like the hat, gloves, scarf and thick winter coat and so on.
- Please try you best to respect the local folk customs, especially their religious belief and taboos when you traveling in Tibet.