Nyingchi Weather & Climate describes information with temperature & precipitation. Find out the best time to visit Nyingchi and see the season highlights in Nyingchi Tibet. It also tells you what to wear in different seasons and clothes packing for your trip to Nyingchi Tibet.
Nyingchi Climate and Weather
Nyingchi is situated at the north bank of Yarlung Zangbo River, lower reaches of Niyang River, at the southeast part of Tibet. The terrain here is dangerously steep with river valleys. The average altitude is 3,000 m with relative height difference of 2,200 – 4,700m. Nyingchi is a city with lowest altitude in Tibet. Niyang River slowly flows through the city surrounded by mountains. The rainfall here is abundant and climate is comfortable. The mountains here are extending from east to west, higher altitude in north and lower in south, which has great height difference. The climate here is complicate with great vertical changes, forming coexistent variety of climatic zone: tropical climate, subtropical climate, temperate climate, boreal climate, humid climate and semi-humid climate. The annual precipitation of Nyingchi is around 650 mm, annual temperature is 8.7℃, with annual sunlight 2,000 hours and 180 frost-free days. It boasts fertile lands and rich resources. The average temperature of winter in Nyingchi is above 0℃, while summer’s average temperature is 16℃. The four seasons here are distinctive, and the summer is not so hot and winter is not so cold. But every May to September, is the rainy season. Lots of rainfall is easy to cause landslide, debris flow, collapse and other natural disasters.
Nyingchi Precipitation by Month
The least amount of rainfall occurs in December. The average in this month is 2 mm. The greatest amount of precipitation occurs in July, with an average of 134 mm.
Nyingchi Average Temperature
The temperatures are highest on average in July, at around 16.9 °C. The lowest average temperatures in the year occur in January, when it is around 1.3 °C.
Nyingchi Weather by Month
The variation in the precipitation between the driest and wettest months is 132 mm. The variation in temperatures throughout the year is 15.6 °C.
Nyingchi Weather and Climate by Month
Four Seasons of Nyingchi and What to Pack
- Seasonal Characteristics: The average temperature of Nyingchi in spring is 0°C ~ 13°C, and the weather is slightly cold.
- What to Pack: The average temperature during the day is 13°C . Therefore, it is recommended to wear warm clothes, such as suit, jacket, windbreaker, casual wear, jackets and thin sweaters. The average temperature at night is 0°C, it is recommended to wear warm clothes such as down jacket and thick sweaters.
- Seasonal Characteristics: The average summer temperature of Nyingchi is 10°C ~ 21°C, and the weather is cool.
- What to Pack: Bring multiple layers of long-sleeved, warm clothing with you, so you will be prepared no matter the temperature. The temperature at night is much lower than that during the day even during the summer.
- Seasonal Characteristics: The average temperature of Nyingchi in autumn is 9°C ~ 20°C, the weather is cool.
- What to Pack: It is recommended to wear a single layer of cotton and linen short suits, T-shirts, thin denim pants, casual wear and other comfortable clothes.
- Seasonal Characteristics: The average temperature of Nyingchi in winter is -3°C ~ 10°C, the weather is cold
- What to Pack:The pants can be the thick long johns+thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat. Shoes are recommended to choose thick sneakers, and socks should be thicker. Underwear is recommended to choose pure cotton, which can effectively reduce static electricity and be comfortable to wear.
Note: Due to the severe sunlight on the plateau and wide temperature division between day and night, you are highly advised to carry long sleeves, sweater, jackets, sunglasses, sun cap, sun blocking cream, lip cream, Aspirin, medicine for cold and digestion, etc.
Best Time to Visit Nyingchi
The period between March to October is the best time to visit Nyingchi. From March to April, plum blossom all over the mountains and plains makes Nyingchi a fairyland. From May to June, tourist can appreciate the beautiful rhododendra. Nyingchi turns to be green world from July to August and golden yellow during September to October, which you can participate in the major festival-Shoton Festival. The period between May to September is the rainy season of Nyingchi. At this time, debris flow and collapse are common to see so tourists should pay attention to weather forecast.
Travel Tips for Visiting Nyingchi
- Do not plan your Nyingchi Tour in the peak holidays. Because they are popular in Chinese tourists, Nyingchi attractions become more crowded in these periods. The most crowded seasons in China are Chinese Spring Festival (usually in late Jan. or early Feb.), International Labor Day (May 01 to 03) and National Day (Oct. 01-07). Spring Festival and the National Day golden week are the most crowded time for travelling.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- The average altitude of Nyingchi is around 3,100 meters. You may suffer slightly from high altitude sickness in the first two days, but don't worry you can acclimatize yourself gradually by going for some leisure walking instead of strenuous activity after arrival. You'd better not have bath, in case of catching a cold. Drinking more water and having some fruit will be helpful.