Nyingchi Travel Tips
Nyingchi Travel Tips introduces some information about Nyingchi travel, including useful numbers, transportation, best time to visit, dressing tips, post offices, banks and hospitals, etc. When plan your trip to Nyingchi, view our answers to questions about Nyingchi travel to get better understanding of Nyingchi Tibet. Nyingchi is blessed with beautiful lakes, deep gorges, immense forests, azalea-filled meadows etc. you hardly believe that there is such a picturesque and fertile heaven land in wild Tibet. With available daily flights and lower elevation, Nyingchi can be the first stop of your Tibet tour. It is suggested to have a 7~8 days Nyingchi and Lhasa tour. Spend two days on picturesque Lulang Forest, breathtaking Midui Glacier, and mirror-like Rawu Lake first, then go to Lhasa and visit the majestic Potala Palace and sacred Buddhist sites before leaving from Lhasa.
Here below are some useful numbers in Nyingchi, in case the emergency while you are traveling, or have other complaints or questions.
- Fire: 119
- Police: 110
- Area code: 0893
- Ambulance: 120
- Weather Broadcast: 121
- Consumer Complaint: 12315
- Local Phone Number Inquiries: 114
- Long-distance Phone Number Inquiries: 113
More about Useful Numbers for Travelers in Tibet
Best Time to Visit Nyingchi
The period between March to October is the best time to visit Nyingchi. From March to April, plum blossom all over the mountains and plains makes Nyingchi a fairyland. From May to June, tourist can appreciate the beautiful rhododendra. Nyingchi turns to be green world from July to August and golden yellow during September to October. The period between May to September is the rainy season of Nyingchi. At this time, debris flow and collapse are common to see so tourists should pay attention to weather forecast.
Dressing and Packing Tips
- Spring: The average temperature during the day is 13°C . Therefore, it is recommended to wear warm clothes, such as suit, jacket, windbreaker, casual wear, jackets and thin sweaters. The average temperature at night is 0°C, it is recommended to wear warm clothes such as down jacket and thick sweaters.
- Summer: Bring multiple layers of long-sleeved, warm clothing with you, so you will be prepared no matter the temperature. The temperature at night is much lower than that during the day even during the summer.
- Autumn: It is recommended to wear a single layer of cotton and linen short suits, T-shirts, thin denim pants, casual wear and other comfortable clothes.
- Winter: The pants can be the thick long johns+thick over-trousers. The tops can be thick autumn clothes+a thick sweater+a thick coat. Shoes are recommended to choose thick sneakers, and socks should be thicker. Underwear is recommended to choose pure cotton, which can effectively reduce static electricity and be comfortable to wear.
- What to Pack: Don’t forget to bring your passport, Chinese Visa and all needed permits. You are unable to have a Nyingchi tour without them. It is also important to bring the necessary medicine and sunscreens because the UV is strong. The temperature varies greatly during a day due to the elevation gap, therefore, please wear properly to keep warm.
Important Travel Tips for Visiting Nyingchi
How to Get to Nyingchi
Located in the southeast of Tibet, Nyingchi borders with Lhasa to east, Shannan to southwest, Qamdo to south and Nagqu to north. Due to the development in recent years, Taking flight and long-distance bus are the two major ways to get to Nyingchi. After arriving at Lhasa by air or train, tourists should take long-distance bus in Lhasa East Bus Station to Bayi District, Nyingchi County, which is 406 kilometers away from Lhasa. The driving time is 8 hours and the price is 120 yuan. There are buses running to Mainling County, Nang County, Bome County and Zayu County in Nyingchi area and also Lhasa, Qamdo and Lhoka in Tibetan area.
When you are in Nyingchi, it will be another chance that you can have yummy dishes and tasty food. Apart from food that can also be found in any other areas of Tibet, such as dried beef, barley wine, zanba, buttered tea, some specialties of ethnic groups are also available. Take Lopa minority for example. Their wine is divided into two kinds, millet wine and distilled spirit; their meal is made from maize pulp, rice, vegetables, peppers, barbeques and so forth. By conventions, the meal is allotted by hostess on a per head basis. Generally speaking, people eat in a bamboo container with their hands. Moreover, the most distinctive food is roasted rats, which is used to treat the distinguished guests.
When you come to Nyingchi, these souvenirs are worthy of your money, such as Nang County thin-shell walnut, Bome yellow fungus, Bome gastrodia elata, wild auricularia auricula, Nyingchi red skin peanuts and the like. Nyingchi is a place that many people yearn for, and some people may only come here once or twice in their whole lives. Therefore, in addition to taking beautiful photos and tasting authentic Tibetan food, most people will buy some souvenirs when they leave.
Where to Stay in Nyingchi
As a renowned tourist destination in Tibet, more and more hotels gather in Nyingchi centered in Bayi District, the largest district along the stretch of travel route. Bayi District is a nice place for overnight as well as a transportation center in Nyingchi. Of course, Bayi District is a place full of attractions, such as the grand Nyang-chu Valley, beautiful Segyi La Mountain, and full of atmosphere ofhumanism-Tashigang Village. The hotels in Nyingchi is relatively more pleasant than other places in Tibet remote area, ranging from luxury ones with great facilities and services to budget ones.
Matters need attention
- Try not to take a shower when you get to Nyingchi in case of catching a cold
- Prepare some disposable toilet seats.
- Wash your hands after using the remote control.
- It is best not to wear plastic slippers provided by the hotel.
- Before using the water glass, use the boiling water to disinfect.
- Although the hotel's bed sheet is replaced every day, it is best to prepare a set of comfortable pajamas
Things to Do in Nyingchi
Nyingchi, a place with long history, is always a heaven for many people all over the world. Nyingchi is also a perfect destination for people who want to seek for antiquity, explore the fascinating natural sceneries. When you come to Nyingchi, the top attractions in Nyingchi are must-visit.
- Yarlung Tsangpo Grand Canyon
- Mount Namjagbarwa
- Bonri Mountain
- Lulang Forest
- Pagsum Lake
- Niyang River
- Midui Glacier
- Segyi La Mountain
- Luoma Peach Blossom Village
Matters need attention
- Take care of your luggage and important things, such as passport and visa.
- Check out the weather report before your travel. Do not go sightseeing in bad weather.
- Respect and follow local custom and avoid conflicts.
Tibet Travel Permit is a must to travel in Tibet, and you can’t board your flight or train to Tibet without it. It is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau only and can be applied by travel agencies on behalf of you only. To get the permit, you need book a Tibet tour with us, and send us your passport and Chinese visa about 20 days in advance, and then we will apply for the permit (all Tibet permits can only be applied by travel agency). If you want to other places, such as Mêdog County, then you need to apply for the Frontier Pass.
Nyingchi owns the biggest elevation gap in the world with the lowest elevation of only 900m and the highest elevation of 7,782m (altitude of Namjagbarwa Peak). It’s better for you to prepare oxygen supply for emergency. It will be also helpful to take some to drink more hot water, keep warm all the time, eat fresh vegetables and fruits etc.
- Please don't hang flags in republic place.
- When entering monasteries, please don't show your arms and legs and wear hats and sunglasses.
- Ask for permission before taking photos for Tibetan people.
- Don't touch Tibetan's head and shoulder.
- Don't watch celestial burial without permission.
Banks in Nyingchi
You can use cash and your passport to exchange for Chinese Yuan in every branch of Bank of China without fees charged. And 17 kinds of currency are supported, such as English pound, US dollar, Singapore dollar, Euro and so on.
- Bank of China(Nyingchi Branch)(中国银行(林芝分行))
Add: No. 399 Bayi Street, Bayi Town(八一镇八一大街399号)
- Agricultural Bank of China(中国农业银行)
Add: South of Baji West Road, Bayi District, Nyingchi City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区林芝市巴宜区巴吉西路南)
- Agricultural Bank of China(中国农业银行)
Add: No. 53 Fujian Road, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区福建路53号)
- China Construction Bank(中国建设银行)
Add:No. 58 Bayi Street, Bayi Town, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区八一镇八一大街58号)
Expresses and Post Offices in Nyingchi
- China Post(Yongjiu Post Office Sub-branch(中国邮政(永久邮政支局))
Add: Nanyue Avenue, Yongjiu Village, Bayi Town, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区八一镇永久村南粤大道)
- SF Express(顺丰快递)
Add: No. 490 Bayi Street, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区八一大街490号)
- STO Express(申通快递)
Add: No. 10 Yingbin Avenue, Nyingchi Town, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区林芝镇迎宾大道10号)
- YTO Express(圆通速递)
Add: Southeast 50 meters of the Interjection of North Section of Binhe Avenue and No. 306 Provincial Highway(滨河大道北段与306省道交叉口东南50米)
Hospitals in Nyingchi
- Nyingchi People's Hospital(林芝市人民医院)
Add: No. 11 Shuijingyuan Road, Bayi District, Nyingchi City(林芝市巴宜区水景园路11号)
- Jianmin Hospital(健民医院)
Add: Southwest 70 meters of No. 12 Shuangyong Road, Bayi District, Nyingchi City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区林芝市巴宜区双拥路12号西南70米)
- Zhongqu Hospital(中区医院)
Add: No. 156 Ping'an Road, Bayi District, Nyingchi City, Tibet Autonomous Region(西藏自治区林芝市巴宜区平安路156)
- Nyingchi Jimin Hospital(林芝济民医院)
Add: No. 315 Shuangyong North Road, Bayi Town, Nyingchi City, Tibet(西藏林芝市八一镇双拥北路315号)
Other Travel Tips for Visiting Nyingchi
- In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
- Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.
- Don't forget to prepare medicines based on your health condition, such as cold medicine, carsick medicine, altitude sickness medicine and so on. Because of long sunshine duration and strong solar radiation, please prepare a hat, sun cream and other sunscreen products.